Putting Property into a Foreign Jurisdiction

From uniform laws.org’s section on the uniform trust code:

“(c) Without precluding the right of the court to order, approve, or disapprove a transfer, the trustee, in furtherance of the duty prescribed by subsection (b), may transfer the trust’s principal place of administration to another State or to a jurisdiction outside of the United States.”

There re you have it- presumably one could place ones land in a private trust which designates its law as being outside of the United States.  The terms indicated in the trust would be the law applicable to the property, in most situations.

http://www uniformlaws org/shared/docs/trust_code/UTC_Final_rev2014.pdf

Because they can track links, I removed the first two dots. You have to replace them.


One thought on “Putting Property into a Foreign Jurisdiction

  1. It seems that placing property in a private trust and having the trustee transfer such to another jurisdiction, still leaves the original court of competent jurisdiction with the right to order, approve, or disprove a transfer. It would be neat to add some case law on this code to a subsequent comment. To transfer real property under this code would be an interesting and challenging feat as it may just transfer the right to the parcel itself.

What are your thoughts?

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s